Antiquities

Observatory of Maragheh

The year of the establishment: 1261-1276 AD

After the selection of Maragheh as the capital of Holahu Khan, it was built by Khaje Nasir al-Din Tusi. The observatory is the first equipped observatory before the invention of the telescope. A total of 17 architectural units are found at the observatory.

About four hundred thousand exquisite books were in the large library of the observatory. The construction site for other observatories, specially Samarkand observatory was taken from observatory of Maragheh. The complex consisted of various sections, such as the central tower, the library, five circular units, and other industrial units including casting and tooling. 

The existence of Khaje Nasir al-Din Tusi's Observatory has added to the importance of this city that today Maragheh has been described as the city of astronomy in the nomination of cities.



Borj e Modavar building
 Borj e Modavar building erected 10 meters away from Gonbaad Kabud building, belongs to the Seljuk era. It is a cylindrical two- storey tower of a plain façade made of red bricks and stone plinths. The building has a domed ceiling wich has been destroyed and a gable roof has been built instead to protect the building . in addition to the beautiful brick-work of the outer façade, beautiful decorations formed by a combination of brick on the entrance are another feature of the building, the entrance portal of the tower has crescent frames and a round arch. They surround the portal. There is a Kufic inscription composed of brick and azure tile works bearing verse 35 of Anbia chapter of holy Koran above and beneath the arch. It shows the date 563AH the inner space is a 12 sided one once with stucco decorations. The crypt of the building is a cross shaped space. It seems to be somone's grave and the building has been erected as the memorial of him. but there is no information available about the founder or the buried person.


 

 Sun clock of Mragheh
This clock was built as part of the project of "from Jundishapour to Mragheh and new sciences" done by the cultural Heritage Organization, Handicrafts and Tourism industry Office, Center of Astronomical and Astrophysical Research , and Bureau of cultural Cooperation of France Embassy . it was built on the northern wing of the Gonabad e Surkh  of Maragheh. The sun clock shows hours as well as Gregorain and (solar) hegira month . it has an accuracy of one second. This clock, apart from its aesthetic value, is very precious because it is made through complex scientific calculations.



Aghalar Mausoleum and Stone- Figure Museum

The Mausoleum of aqalar is a square building erected on the grave of Mir Abdul Fattah Mosvai Maraghei. the famous mystic and poet of zand era. He  died in 1175 AH and was buried in this place. the building was completely repaired in 1247 AH by Haji Abbas Ali Bonabi. He was buried in this mausoleum, too. as Zel os sultan liked Mir Fattah Maragheh such as Shahrzadeh Rezza Qoli, pen named as Majnoon Alishah, Abdul Hussein Salar Yahyapoor of Maragheh in 1945… therefore, it has been called as the dignitaries '(Aqalar) mausoleum. the building become a museum after reconstructions in 2002. It holds many stone figures of historical graves of the region.


 
Fossil – Bearing of Maragheh
The region is on the southern slopes of Sahand on the east of Maragheh. This region is among the richest fossil – bearing ones in the world . it is located along a fossil bearing international band. This band includes countries such as Greece, spain, and Portugal. This region is called "Paradise of fossile" by the archeologists. fossils of this reigon consist of remains from horses, mammoths, rhinoceroses . bovid , carnivores, perimates. This 1026 – hectare region was registered as the first national and natural fossil relic in 2005. A center for fossil research has been built one kilometer away from the maragheh- Hashtrud Road in order to facilitate researches and to protect the fossils. this first open area museum of fossils is located on the north of Mordaq village in Gurgdareh.



Holy Howance church 
Holy Howance church is one of the churches in east Azerbaijan province and it is located in Maraghe city. Holy Howance church is one of the catholic Armenian Church and its name has been adopted from name of one of Johannes who was called “Howance” in Armenian. This church is located inside Maraghe city and is the only church in this city.
Location: Gilaslug avnue, Emam Khomeini street, Maragheh, East Azerbaijan, Iran




Mehr Temple
The underground temple is known as the oldest Mithraist temple (Mehrabe) in Iran. Mithraism is the faith emerged before Zoroastrian in Persia. Mehr or Mithra is the deity of sun, who brings justice and affection, and at a time had been worshipped from India to europe. Mithraists believed Mithra as an angle born in a cave, that’s why they used to worship Mehr in any cave they thought the birthplace was probably there.The stone temple is believed to have been built during the Arsacid dynasty (248BCE-224 CE). Given its stone structure and decorative elements, the temple is attributed to Parthian empire (247 BC – 224 AD) and Mithraism, which considered elements of nature including water, earth, fire and air as sacred.

 


 Gonbad-e Kabood-e Maragheh

 Gonbad-e Kabood-e Maragheh (Turquoise Dome of Maragheh) doesn’t have any inscription to identify the time of its construction, but experts refer it to Saljuk Period. And some believes it was built at 593 lunar calendars (1196 AD).On its façade there are exquisite tiles like jeweled between bricks. And because tiles are used less than bricks on this building, the outcome turns out very beautiful. Gonbad-e Kabood has 10 angels and each of them is more than 6 meters wide.The decorations used in this building are different and unique with compare to other constructions built during of Seljuk and Ilkhanid dynasties.Gonbadeh Kabood is registered as #135 on the National Iranian Heritage list since January 5 1932.
Location: Mousavi street, Maragheh, East Azerbaijan, Iran



Gonbad-e Sorkh-e Maragheh

Gonbad-e Sorkh-e Maragheh (direct translation: Red Dome of Maragheh) is one of the most exquisite buildings of Seljuq’s era (1147 AD). It is also one of the most known buildings in the region. This building was built using bricks and tiles, known as Razi style. Gonbad-e Sorkh is one of the first of the Razi style buildings in Islamic Architecture of Iran. This building had two domes one above the other. The outer dome was a pyramid style dome which has collapsed; now only inner dome remains. This building doesn’t have any inscription stating that it was a mausoleum so it is considered a monumental tower.
Maragheh city was known as a city of towers because of its 5 historical towers and buildings.
Location: Aghalar bustan, the intersection of Khayyam street, Engelab street, southwest of Maragheh, Maragheh, East Azerbaijan, Iran




Gonbad-e Ghaffariyeh

Gonbad-e Ghaffariyeh (Dome of Ghaffariyeh) is located in northwest of Maragheh city, next to Sufi Chaey (Sufi river). This dome has a square building which has been constructed during Ilkhanian dynasty during Soltan Abu Saeed Bahador Khan.Most of Maragheh historical places go back to during this time when Maragheh was capital of Ilkhanian dynasty about 700 years ago.In south, west and east sides of Ghaffariyeh Dome are patterns of polo which has never used in other historical buildings of Iran. This symbol is identity of Ghaffariyeh Dome in Maragheh.
Location: Next to Sufi river (Sufi Chay), Shahid Saduqi street, Maragheh, East Azerbaijan, Iran




Mausoleum of Awhadi Maraghai 

Mausoleum of Awhadi Maraghai is one of the famous historical places in Maragheh. Rukn al-Din Abolhassan Maraghai was a famous Persian mystic and poet during Ilkhanian era. He is famous as Awhadi Maraghehi whom one of his great and famous books is Jam-e Jam Masnavi. Some of biographers mentioned him as a companion of Sheikh Awhad al-Din Kermani. But this cannot be right, since Awhadi Maraghai was born 35 years later than death of Awhadi Kermani. Awhadi Maraghai just got the pseudonym of Awhadi Kermani because of his devotion to him.
 Location: Southern Khajeh Nasir street, 17th of Shahrivar intersection, Maragheh, East Azerbaijan, Iran.

 

Ilkhani Museum
Ilkhani Museum in Maragheh is the first specific museum in Ilkhani Era. Museum of Maragheh (founded in 1364) started its activities as a specific Ilkhani museum with the aim of targeting its monuments in terms of importance and role of this city as the first capital of Ilkhan mogul.

Location: Maragheh, Daneshsara avenue, Awhadi dead end.



Imam Zadeh Ibrahim Chekan
The mausoleum of Imamzadeh Ibrahim lies 6 kilometers east of Maragheh in the village of Chekan. There is no recor about this sage in the historical texts; however, the people believe him to be a descendant of Imam Mosa ibn Jafar (AS). They believe that he has been killed by his enemies when he was migrating from Medina to Mashhad. The habvitants of Maragheh have paid much attention to this sanctuary from the very beginning.


 
Mullah Rostam Wooden Mosque
Mullah Rustam Wooden Mosque built with the method of wooden structure located in Maragheh. It is one of the first mosques built during Safavid dynasty. This mosque’s wooden structure style was the pattern for famous historical buildings of Safavid dynasty such as; Ali Qapu Palace, Chehel Stone Palace in Isfahan.Mullah Rustam mosque doesn’t have any inscription to tell us the exact date of its construction but according to method and style used in building it, we can tell it belongs to Safavid era. This mosque was repaired during Qajar era, however yet we don’t have any inscription or written to prove the date of its construction. Mullah Rustam Wooden mosque is one of the most precious wooden architectural styles of Iran from 15 century.


 

Tagh Mosque Maragheh
The Tagh Masque, located in Khaj Mir Habib Agha St of Maragheh, was erected in the late Safavid era. The building lacks any inscriptions. The oldest endowments of the mosque are some hand- written books and cooper  dishes belonging to the 11th  and 12th  centuries AH. The mosque has a prayer hall on the north . a portico, an ablutionary a kitchen and a  courtryard. The mosque has no stucco and tile works. It is decorated with arches and vaults.


 


View: 773 Time(s)   |   Print: 201 Time(s)   |   Email: 0 Time(s)   |   0 Comment(s)

© 2018 All Rights Reserved | 20th National and 8th International Congress on Biology

Designed & Developed by : Yektaweb